Can you imagine living on $816.50 a month? That's the average monthly income of people accessing food banks in Toronto. After rent and utilities are paid, a person is left with less than $7.33 a day to afford food and other expenses.
When the choice is to pay rent or buy groceries, many households simply go hungry.
Last year in Toronto:
- more than 120,000 people visited a food program
- 29% were children
- 41% of food bank clients went for an entire day without food
- The #1 reason people first turned to a food bank was a job loss
You can make a difference!
- Every dollar raised provides one healthy meal.
- Your fundraising also supports Daily Bread's research and advocacy, helping to lift more families out of poverty.
- From Scarborough to Etobicoke and neighbourhoods in between, your fundraising supports a food program in your own community.
- Daily Bread relies on community donations like yours. We do not receive any United Way or core government funding.
- From after-school snack programs for kids to hot meals for seniors, your fundraising will support the most vulnerable communities in your neighbourhood and across the city.